Eleven students and a teacher were burnt to death after a science test went wrong at a primary school in Sydney, Australia.
Police and paramedics were called to Manly West Public School in Sydney around 1pm local time on Monday. (Representative photo)
By India Today Web Desk: Eleven students and a teacher were burnt to death at a primary school in Sydney, Australia after a science test went wrong. Of the 11 injured students, two were seriously injured in an explosion during an experiment involving sodium bicarbonate and methylated spirits.
Police and paramedics were called to Manly West Public School in Sydney around 1pm local time on Monday.
Two students with serious facial and chest injuries were taken to Westmead Hospital, one by road and the other by helicopter, 1 News reported.
Five children were taken to the Royal North Shore Hospital with minor injuries, while the other four were treated at the Northern Beaches Hospital.
“Road crew and a specialist medical team on board the CareFlight helicopter are responding to an incident involving multiple patients with burns,” New South Wales (NSW) Ambulance said.
According to NSW Ambulance Acting Superintendent Phil Templeman, the test was affected by the wind.
“I understand this is a fairly routine science experiment that is conducted within the school, and the wind disrupted that particular experiment today and caused a bigger reaction than expected.”
The children, believed to be between 10 and 11 years old, suffered burns to their bodies, including their faces, chests, abdomens and legs, the Sydney Morning Herald reported. The injured students were “conscious, breathing, relatively stable” but “required some intervention from a specialist burn unit”, Templeman said.
A student at the scene told 9News that the wind caught it and flew it among the children during an experiment in a playground. The nature of the science experiment, however, remains unclear.
Describing the incident as “kind of scary”, the student said, “It was just a little science experiment, but it got a little out of hand”.